Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mucho Mexico: Mi Amore

Te Amo: Mucho Mexico.

There are a Ton of Latin and or Mexican food options in Lancaster and the surrounding area.
That being said, no one place, deserves more traffic, and accolades than Mucho Mexico. This awesome little spot is literally 2-3 doors past Spyro Gyro as you head up Prince Street towards Walnut St. This little spot has been several things over the past few years, but none, as good as it’s current incarnation.  We’ve eaten there probably about 10 times. I personally am Not a fan of Mexican food, as it’s sometimes not happy to be in my belly. I can eat here every day, and even if I’m eating the same dish, (I don’t) I could truly be happy. They carry a large assortment of sugar sweetened (as in no HFCS) sodas from Mexico in flavors ranging from the standard orange, to guava and other “exotics”. I don’t know who honestly works the kitchen, as I haven’t been given an audience, though, the young lady who works the front of the house is so nice, that she’d probably give me a full tour and a few recipes if I asked nicely. To say that the food here is good, is sort of like saying that Michael Jordan played basketball, sort of. This is, without a doubt, the best Mexican food I’ve ever had. On our most recent visit, I ordered the enchilada platter. Now, this is a 10 dollar dinner, it normally includes 5 (yes, 5) enchiladas made of a corn tortilla (the correct type if you ask me) filled with either shredded beef or chicken, topped with either red or green sauce, sour cream and then fresh sliced avocado. It’s accompanied by spanish style rice and refried beans. Now, I personally loathe refried beans. To me, they’re sort of like well, it’s too graphic to list here. Anyway, they let me drop the beans for double rice all the time, at no extra cost, and no hassle at all.  I decided I’d wanted the chicken, but wasn’t sure if I should go green or red sauce, so I asked. The young lady in the front of the house suggested green, and Man, she was Spot On. This is the way Mexican food needs to be. They also feature a daily special, that can be anything from a sandwich to menudo. I haven’t had menudo since I left New Mexico all so many years ago, but I’d certainly be open to trying it here.

Price wise, this little gem ranges for entrees from about 6 dollars to about 12-15 dollars.
I did a quick scan of Yelp.com for Mexican food. I’m ashamed to say that Lancaster lists places like Qdoba (mall style burritos in line with Chipotle) in the same page as Mucho Mexico. This my friends is a travesty. If you want a 6 dollar burrito, go to a burrito joint. If you want high quality Mexican food at a Very affordable price, by all means, mosey on down to Mucho Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment